Friday, February 24, 2012

Solo WDW Trip January 2012 Recap Part 1: Beauty and the Beast Show

During my most recent solo trip to WDW, I decided to catch the Beauty and the Beast show at the Studios.  I had heard some people on podcasts/other blogs raving about it.  I think at least once I even heard it compared to a Broadway show.  Since I am a fan of trying new things I haven't done before, I decided to check it out.

Guys, it is NOT a Broadway show.  It is not even close.  It is a few steps up from a musical at a theatrical high school.  Maybe I'm spoiled because I live about 20 minutes from ACTUAL Broadway, but still - I was not as impressed as I expected to be (the Nemo show at Animal Kingdom is far superior).

The story was fine - it cut a lot out but that's to be expected.  The cast was decent (not amazing).  No one was terrible but I'm not sure anyone is headed to great heights here.  I think I liked the guy who played Gaston best:

And then there was some weirdness.  Like has no one suggested that Mrs. Potts invest in some undereye concealer?



And during the Be Our Guest song, there was a single weird dessert costume (she was the only one - and it was just inexplicable).  A girl came out dressed like a goblet during the singing and dancing and then someone unvelcroed part of her costume and it became a cupcake or something.  I don't know.  It would have made more sense if there were 3 of them or if they were singing about it, but she just kind of came on, unhooked her costume, spun around and left.  I didn't get a chance to take a picture but I think Deb captured her here!  SO BIZARRE.

Finally, the weirdness with the blanket.  Whenever the Beast or the witch changed appearances, two dudes would dance around them in this blanket with a rose on it. 



WHAT IS THIS?  I don't get it.  This was the best they could do?  Not even a smoke machine?  My PARENTS have a smoke machine.  We could lend it to you guys, Disney, if you promise to do a better job.



I mean, look, I didn't hate the show.  I definitely don't need to see it again.  I'm glad I tried it out so I know what it's about.  But still, I was disappointed.  Disney has demonstrated that it can do much better.  Step it up guys.  And get Mrs. Potts some concealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment